test4

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Want Success? Work hard for it!

Recent times, I have come across people who talked about getting out of the rat's race, who talked about being business owners employing "smarter people". They dream and talk lots about the concept of financial freedom and financial abundance, yet I have no idea why they believe that they can achieve so without working hard towards it.

In other words, they simply dream and believe that they can achieve it, but took no actions or little actions towards it. It really beats me...

For the benefit of those who do not know what's the cashflow quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki, a short summary is as follows:



* E: Employee — Working for someone else.
* S: Self-employed or Small business owner — Where a person owns his own job and is his own boss.
* B: Business owner — Where a person owns a business to make money.
* I: Investor — Investing money in order to receive a larger payout in the future.

All in all, I think the Cashflow Quadrant summarizes the very well the different systems of earning money. To me, whichever quadrant you are in, you still need to work hard to achieve success in it. Success does not just happen by itself, nor does it come to the person who merely dream of it. Success is there for us to reach out and achieve.

The main difference in the quadrants is, being in the B and I quadrant allows you to still make money even though you might not be around sometimes. BUT... it doesn't mean not around indefinitely. Ultimately, a business cannot run forever without a CEO. An investor will still have to monitor his/her investments periodically to determine the state of health of his/her investments. Some work is still required to maintain them! It's a farce at times to think you do not need to work at all when you are in the B or I quadrant.

Also, in the initial stages, hard work is still required. Lots and lots of it. It appears to me that there are many who did not consider this. To me, success comes to those who worked hard for it. It's a plan, a journey, and it applies to all areas, although the context of this post is about financial success. The laptop on the table did not just come into being by itself; it was planned and designed. Your house wasn't built by chance from laying just bricks; a master blueprint and an architectural outlay is required. And in both cases, when the plan is out, the originators worked hard towards creating it! Plans are useless if they are not realised or followed. The same goes for achieving your success.

But.... you may ask.... Hard work is part of the rat's race! It's slavery! I want to be a business owner, an investor, so that I am out of the rat's race!

WAKE UP! What you want is also what the 6 billion population wants! Who doesn't want an easy job that's high-paying? What makes you think people will want to work for you if you do not put in the hard work yourself at the initial stages? That sentence in the previous paragraph just reeks off: "I want to others to work hard for me so that I don't need to work, because I don't want to work." Yeeks!

The cashflow quadrant was created very nicely for us to understand graphically the different ways and areas where we can work for our retirement needs. Whichever quadrant we chose to be, it's our choice and happiness to do so. But warped interpretations start to proliferate around. On a certain forum, I have seen students and get-rich-quick wannabes over the last 2 years telling me that they don't want to be in the rat's race, and act as if they understood many secrets that their seniors in life do not. Incidentally, these people stem from MLM companies (disclaimer: I'm not against MLM) and were blindly repeating what was told to them. They are fresh to the society, and are easily influenced and swayed by promises.

Yet, they give me the impression that they do not want to work hard as well. Not surprisingly, these people slowly realised the dreams were much too idealistic over about half a year, and eventually stopped their forum postings, only to be replaced by a new bunch of forumers. Perhaps they became extremely successful, and could not afford the time to reply {contradicting the original idea of not needing to work}, I wouldn't know... But I doubt so.

I'm pragmatic, I go for pragmatism. Yes, I from the younger generation in the work force, born in 1983, and I have my personal ideals and dreams. But I make sure my plan is there, my blueprint in my hand, my journey in sight, my goals intact and down-to-earth. Dream big, dream far, yes... But dreaming very big and far while thinking you can achieve those dreams without working very hard???? That's not me.

To succeed, you have to work hard and work smart for it. You have to love work. Nothing can replace hard work.


I shall conclude with the following taken from the last chapter in the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clason.
"Work, thou see, by this, in the time of my greatest distress, didst prove to be my best friend. My willingness to work enabled me to escape from being sold to join the slave gangs upon the walls. It also so impressed thy grandfather, he selected me for his partner."

Then Hadan Gula questioned, "Was work my grandfather's secret key to the golden shekels?"

"It was the only key he had when I first knew him," Sharru Nada replied. "Thy grandfather enjoyed working. The Gods appreciated his efforts and rewarded him liberally."

12 comments:

  1. Hi Momo,

    Hmm, I had a similar story. Had a student who was so smitten by the rich dad poor dad book that he joined an MLM. He bought some products then he told me about it. I think he seriously think that he can make big bucks out of this thing after the person brainwashed him into it.

    I like your post. Pple wants to get the rewards without working for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LP,

    Rich dad poor dad book is ok... But it's the warped interpretations that many come out with that's worrying...

    Even in the book, Robert Kiyosaki mentioned how hard his rich dad worked at the beginning, and how he spent less compared to his neighbours...

    I guess sometimes, people only want to see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear, without being in touch with reality :x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Momo,

    The only book that I would recommend from kiyosaki is the quadrant one. That's his first book I think.

    The rest are just repetitive and doesn't say much. Might not even be from him but from ghost writers, so I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, i agree. Everyone wants to hv a slice of finanical freedom in life. But its the constant committment n belief with pride that holds them down, when things are going the opp way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LP,

    thanks for the recommendation. I agree that the books are just repetitive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mrbert,

    yup, when times are hard, we just need to push on. Giving up isn't an option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Achieving success requires hard work and education.I agree that when times are hard we tend to give up,but that is not the best thing to do.Successful people keep moving,they make mistakes,suffer so much failures but they don't quit.Thank you for posting this great blog.More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not totally agree with the statement. If you want success work hard for it. Well that may be the case sometimes but more likly than not its not so simple. When you have a business success depends upon many things beyond your control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I know and understand about the MLM industry is the successful people actually works very hard, and succeed doing it right.

    This involves building the business, not harassing people or pushing products.

    The success involves lots of hard work in the beginning and reaping the rewards after a period of time, definitely not in a short time span.

    It is the same like the parable of the pipeline.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXnW7VnhkWM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cure contre le VIH avec phytothérapie, le docteur Ahmed Usman a guéri mes trois années de VIH avec phytothérapie, je suis tombé sur le témoignage de son patient sur Internet et je l'ai contacté par courrier électronique. Après de nombreuses discussions, il a envoyé sa phytothérapie à mon domicile. et avec sa prescription, j’ai pris le médicament à base de plantes pendant 21 jours, j’ai découvert les modifications sur mon corps, je ne suis plus malade et mes organes sont très actifs, j’ai fait un test et mon résultat a été négatif. Contactez-le pour votre traitement, drahmedusman5104@gmail.com ou Whatsapp / appelez +2348064460510, il a guéri à base de plantes pour le virus de l'herpès et le cancer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey,

    * You lose sleep because you do not know how to get a loan?
    * Looking for a loan to pay your debts?
    * Looking for a loan to start your own business?
    * Seeking loans for large projects?
    * You have a dream and you realize that it is impossible due to no finance?
    * are you rejected by your bank?
    *
    We give Financial Loans such as :

    * Property loan
    * Investment loan
    * Auto loan
    * Debt consolidation loan
    * Redemption loan
    * Personal loan
    * Student loan
    * Business investment loans
    * Travel and vacation loan
    * Christmas and new year loan
    * Estate establishing loan ETC!

    CROWN TRUST FINANCIAL LOAN FIRM, is the answer,we are authentically able to provide you with any amount of financing to finally realize your projects, do not hesitate to contact us.We offer loans at term ranging from five (5) to fifty (50) years maximum at a nominal rate of 2% per year regardless of the amount and repayment according to your capabilities.CROWN TRUST FINANCIAL LOAN FIRM is welled certified, registered and legitimate. Our company also need a person that can be our company representative in your country.

    We are here to serve you Genuinely and urgently !!!

    Website : https://worksitebusiness.wordpress.com

    CONTACT US NOW FOR YOUR LOAN VIA :

    crowntrustfinancialloanfirm@yahoo.com

    crowntrustfinancialloanfirm@gmail.com

    CEO : JEFFREY FRANK

    ReplyDelete

Please Comment >>