test4

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Marginal safety with dividend counters -- SPH and Starhub

This is a mathematical exercise I did with my holdings in Singapore Press Holdings.


A short history of my relationship with SPH
Around the 2008~2009 era, I bought in 6000 shares of SPH at an average of $3.65
Mid of 2014, I bought in 2000 shares of SPH at $3.98 but booked in as $3.65 on my portfolio as I used "profits" from sales of other shares to offset the difference.

So, I took it as 8000 shares of SPH at $3.65 average.

With Starhub, it was quite simple. Majority were bought in 2009, with some in 2010. In summary, the average cost of Starhub was $1.90.

2015 came, and all the way till this year, I have been busy with wedding, with family, with children, with business, etc, such that I have not spent much time to look at equities. That's up till recent months, where I took interest again.

It was really eyes off market for majority of the time. I knew SPH was in a sunset industry. I knew. But I did not take any actions to sell.

Starhub was being disrupted by MNVOs. I knew. But I did not take any actions too. On my old blog post, I was considering to sell at $4.70. But I did nothing. [That was $47k on hindsight.]

I mean, it was "buy for the long term" right?
And SPH declined to $1.98 while Starhub declined to $1.34.

With that, I have actually discussed with friends before, on how the dividends from SPH and Starhub actually helped buffered the drop in price for me, and how "lucky" I was. But it was just a feel. There was no actual calculations until I did it today.


For SPH
Checking on the historical dividends paid out,
from start of 2010 till today, the dividends paid out was at least $2.005 for 6000 shares
from mid 2014 till today, the dividends paid out was $0.855 for 2000 shares

If dividends were used to offset the "cost" of the shares, it would have been $1.9325.
At the current market price of $1.98, there is still a tiny profit of $0.0475.
[Of course, when it falls below $1.93, it would be a loss instead.]
The gain/loss is almost 0%.

As of now, fixed deposits would have done much better than the amount of SPH. But at the very minimum, the capital had been withdrawn gradually via dividends (and moved into other counters and into business), and it would have been the same if I had left it in cash and not bought SPH.

For Starhub
Checking on the historical dividends paid out,
from start of 2010 till today, the dividends paid out was $1.815 for all 10000 shares

If dividends were used to offset the "cost" of the shares, it would have been $0.085.
So it is almost free now.
Or another way to see it, if I sell at today's price, it is still at 66% gain (dividends + loss) over 9 years, about 7% a year.


Not having the time to follow the market and just holding the counters passively
Not having the conviction to sell when they were priced too high
==> these have costed me quite a fair bit of profit.
I tend to think too long upon selling.

Fortunately, similar to the case of SMRT previously, dividends have helped buffered a fair bit of the difference.


The question then becomes.... should I sell now or not.
For Starhub, I am not confident that they will pick up anytime soon. However, the shares are almost free, and any amount I sell is a profit.

For SPH, I am quietly positive on their properties portfolio for now. But I am also unsure whether I should sell it because I do think it is at fair value at the moment.

Thinking thinking thinking...

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I learned that I am lousy :(

      Delete
    2. Hi JW, can I contact you through email if I have some enquiries regarding your blog?

      Delete
  2. Hi JW, can I contact you through email if I have some enquiries regarding your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cure contre le VIH avec phytothérapie, le docteur Ahmed Usman a guéri mes trois années de VIH avec phytothérapie, je suis tombé sur le témoignage de son patient sur Internet et je l'ai contacté par courrier électronique. Après de nombreuses discussions, il a envoyé sa phytothérapie à mon domicile. et avec sa prescription, j’ai pris le médicament à base de plantes pendant 21 jours, j’ai découvert les modifications sur mon corps, je ne suis plus malade et mes organes sont très actifs, j’ai fait un test et mon résultat a été négatif. Contactez-le pour votre traitement, drahmedusman5104@gmail.com ou Whatsapp / appelez +2348064460510, il a guéri à base de plantes pour le virus de l'herpès et le cancer

    ReplyDelete

  4. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Please Comment >>