test4

Monday, February 28, 2011

Feburary 2011 Portfolio Update

Feburary was a down month. Lots of selling. Many of my holdings went very red, especially Capitaland and CapMallsAsia. I guess it has something to do with what the China govt is doing to their economy to put on a brake.


My entry this month was GLP, 3 lots at $2 and 3 lots at $1.88, giving me an average of  6 lots at $1.94. I believe GLP will benefit in the long run from the growth of China as an industrial play. My average is slightly below its IPO price, and I do think it offers a marginally safe entry point.

I also entered Singtel at $2.89. This is for yield, and I will ride Singtel for its ups and downs if possible.



A short summary of my core holdings:



Portfolio cost: $190k
Portfolio value: $207k
Percentage gain: 8.69%

Dividends went lower to $1083/mth on average. This is mainly due to Aztech's poor result. The Material Supply segment of Aztech failed to secure new contracts again and again. I will be considering whether to sell Aztech, take the loss, and move on to another counter.


Adding to the $24k in the basket I hope to sell off at the bottom, my total cost stands at $214k, an increase from the previous month's $197k. All my MMF units have been redeemed. I sort of "showhanded" at GLP and later on, Singtel. Basically, I'm 100% vested at the moment, and the dividends and salary received today will all go to fund Singtel's purchase, leaving me with about $500 left in bank to start March.


While this is dangerous, I do this to make myself short of cash, so that I would work harder to look for more cash. This has worked in the past, and pushed me to establish myself in the tuition arena. I'm looking to push myself further to complete my book and get it out asap. It is a risky holistic strategy I employ on my own financial health, and I do not recommend anyone to follow this risky strategy. I do not have much debts, and I have in place my dividends that will be coming in mid March, more tuition fees coming throughout the month.


Trading Basket -- Hoping to sell off

I want to sell these off when I can, or cut loss when I can take the loss :(
Portfolio cost: $24.3k
Portfolio value: $17.2k
Unrealised loss of around $7k



(red = freezer stocks to remind myself of my mistakes)
30 lots of Hor Kew at 0.125
27 lots of LC Dev at 0.177 (accepted the rights + 3 lots excess)
2 lots of Cosco at 2.67
160 lots of Berlian Laju at 0.065

5 comments:

  1. Hi JW,

    I oso entered Singtel, but at a higher price of $2.93

    Helping my Mum to invest. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bought only 1 lot at 2.87. But i think Singtel might surprise on the upside in the next few years.

    They need to be seen as a Dividend Grower.

    but amazing portfolio.

    Drizzt
    Investment Moats.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DW and Drizzt,

    To me, Singtel has the muscle power to push through most obstacles. Apart from that, their share price has been moderately consistent and fluctuates little, while offering decent dividend yield.

    I would most likely be accumulating more of Singtel over the long term. For now, it appears relatively cheaper compared to most blue chips, at least to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. back to 2.90. i may be selling if i feel its gonna go lower.

    do note that singtel should be biggest cap in STI. its very negative for it to take such a hit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Drizzt,

    to me, Singtel is a small company in the institutional investor's eye. It is at best a nice emerging market play. As it is also a big component of STI, it is the best stock to play to manipulate the index value.

    If it goes below $2.90, I may cut loss on some of my holdings, perhaps realising up to $5k ~$8k of losses, to withdraw cash to load into Singtel and perhaps other more defensive counters. This would reflect my changes in strategy since I first started 2 years ago.

    To me, it's different for Singtel. I feel no fear averaging down on Singtel. But give me any of the pennies or S-chips, I would hesitate lots before throwing any $$ to average down, if I were to have them. The recent low for Singtel in Nov 2008 was around the $2.40 region, which is a mere 50c from here. The highest around $3.50, which is 60c from here. Hence, I believe in buying Singtel as it is neither too high nor too low at the moment. A dividend yield of 4+% for this counter is sufficiently good.

    ReplyDelete

Please Comment >>